Meeting Minutes

Wednesday, May 4, 2005
1:30 - 3:00 p.m.
Nebraska Library Commission, Crane Room

  1. Branding — Status Update.

    According to Rick Becker, the State Government Council voted to recommend approval. It will now go to the Technical Panel and be posted for a 30-day comment period. After the comment period, the Technical Panel will make their recommendation. The NITC will have it on the agenda for adoption at their meeting on June 14th. Link to current version of the policy.

  2. Nominations / Elections for New Chair-Elect, Greg Votava.

    Greg Votava and Jana Johnson were nominated. Loraine Epperly suggested that we move to a two-year term for consistency of leadership. Vote was conducted and carried unanimously. Greg’s term will continue through 2006 and Jana will take over in January 2007.

  3. NOL — New State Portal Design.

    Rod Armstrong and Darrin Warriner presented the new NOL portal. Everyone agreed that it was a big improvement. Google is the search engine that will be used on the site and is available to all state agencies under an NOL contract. It is being used on the current NOL site at this time. New NOL portal should be launched in a couple weeks. Mary Jo Ryan offered use of the Library Commission lab for usability testing.

    Greg Votava spoke on HHSS usability testing and "Morae" — a product for recording and analyzing usability tests. Product link for Morae.

  4. Accessibility and Broken Links — How do we monitor and report as a group?

    Greg shared information about the Kansas effort. They created guidelines that are much stricter than the W3C and Section 508 standard. Link to the Kansas standards. Jeff Pabian shared a tool for monitoring broken links. It is a free, open source product called Link Lint. He offered to have Link Lint crawl sites for the agencies hosted by NOL. He will also send a link to Loraine — Link Lint web site.

    It was suggested that we add a form to report broken links as part of the branding policy. Ryan Duffy said that keeping outside links off your site will help because they are the ones that change the most. Have an “outside links” section to consolidate them. Nancy suggested that we partner with someone else in the group to monitor each other. Vern Buis of the Library Commission said they use a script that searches their web logs every hour and creates a report, providing very timely information. He will share it with the group. It was mentioned that once a person has a report, who has time to fix links?

  5. Cookies Policy — Discussion on making changes to the policy, Report from the Subcommittee.

    Jeff Pabian commented that we want to put the burden on the user to know if there are cookies being used. Single sign-on policy needs to be addressed in the cookie policy (see next item). Any suggestions for revisions / additions to the policy should be emailed to Greg Votava.

  6. List of links that were talked about or requested during the meeting.
  7. Miscellaneous.

    Identity and Access Management Standard for State Government Agencies (Single Sign-on Policy) was discussed. Nearly all people in the group had never heard of the policy even though it was placed in force by the State Government Council on March 15, 2005. Many concerns were shared mostly having to do with security issues and the lack of information provided to the group prior to adoption by the council. In a follow up conversation, Angela Dunn said that Steve Hartman from IMS could speak with the group at a future meeting. Additionally, Rick Becker offered to have the Nebraska Directory Services team speak to the group. Greg decided to survey the group to see if this issue warrants a meeting next month instead of waiting till July 6th.

  8. Adjourn.

Next Meeting

Wednesday, July 6, 2005
1:30 - 3:00 p.m.
Nebraska Library Commission
1200 N Street, Suite 120
Crane Room (Lower Level, enter building on first floor, South side)